Friday, July 22, 2011

Donny's ba-a-a-ack

Hollywood Reporter says Donny Osmond will host the CBS pilot of Brit import Secret Fortune. I blogged about this show a while back. Basically it's Deal or No Deal with 24 envelopes instead of 24 suitcases...and no models.

I've gotten into a few Internet spats over Donny's hosting skills. I thought he did a fine job on Pyramid in 2002-04, now familiarly known as Donnymid. The Daytime Emmy nominators agreed with me and gave Donny a nom for best game show host in 2003.

Others apparently think he's too plastic or cute or smarmy. I agree he can get a little oily, though he has a good enough sense of humor to avoid the worst. Donnymid got decent numbers in its two seasons and should have been renewed for a third. But for some reason Sony axed the show in favor of a talker that quickly expired.

Donny is plenty competent and can run any show efficiently. I'd like to see Secret Fortune get to air, just to watch him in action again. Truth to tell, I'd like GSN to rerun Donnymid again. The show pulled okay ratings for the network a few years ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment