Saturday, July 9, 2011

Rigged

Somehow the GSN Schedule board wandered into a discussion of rigged game shows from the 1950s. My contribution to the edifying subject...

Other poster: While we are dreaming, it would be amazing if we could see the old $64,000 Question. I don't know if they even recorded those.

Another poster: I doubt GSN would ever show it, but there are several videos of the show on YouTube. I just searched "$64,000 Question" and they came up.

The videos are funny and kind of creepy at the same time. Knowing that the game was rigged from top to bottom makes the viewing experience...let's say, a little strange.

Some rigged Twenty One videos are also available at YouTube. I used a screenshot of Charles Van Doren from one of the videos in a blog post about the Our Little Genius rumpus.

And needless to say but I'll say it anyway, GSN would never run a game show which was known to be rigged. Even when they've shown pilots of shows, they've hit the tapes with disclaimers about possible "arrangement" of some gameplay. I hate to think how many disclaimers would get slapped onto $64,000 Question or Twenty One.

No comments:

Post a Comment