Saturday, July 2, 2011

Sentimental journey

Nice to know I'm not alone in my trips through YouTube for ancient game shows. This columnist also reminisces about the clips waiting for sentimental journeyers. Only he has a personal link. He was in the studio audience as a nine-year-old for Charles Boyer's mystery guest appearance on What's My Line in March, 1957.

That would make the columnist a couple years older than me. With the big Six-O bearing down on me this year, the journeys to the past keep getting more sentimental. There's an obvious reason for this but I try not to think about it too much. If I make it to my parents' average, I still have a quarter-century left to rummage though YouTube, anyway.

I wasn't ever in the studio audience for a game show. But as a real little kid I did make a trip to Cincinnati's WLWT studios for a live broadcast of Midwestern Hayride, a country-western music show. Like everybody else, I was amazed at how little the studio seemed compared to the grand vista on TV.

The entry below mentions Rod Serling, who worked on Midwestern Hayride as a writer before his Twilight Zone fame. Funny how things go around and come around, even on a little game show blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment