Friday, October 7, 2011

Messy

At About.com Carrie Grosvenor is celebrating the 25th anniversary of Double Dare, the messy stunt game show for kids. The show helped put Nickelodeon on the map and a lot of slime on the set.

My grumpy self has often noted my grumpy indifference to most kid game shows. I'm afraid that Double Dare wasn't an exception to my grumpiness. The stunts were fun and harmless, I guess, but I never really warmed up to the predictable messiness and silliness.

Marc Summers ran the show competently and everybody seemed to have a good time. Audiences liked the show because it enjoyed a nice long run on Nick, followed by a lot of spinoffs which lasted for several more years. Rumor has it that one of the spinoffs, Family Double Dare, will return as part of TeenNick's The 90's Are All That programming block.

Game Show Newsnet has even changed their logo to join in the silver anniversary hoopla. So I'll suspend my grumpiness and wish a nice 25th to everybody who enjoyed the show.

No comments:

Post a Comment