Thursday, July 7, 2011

Tale of two contestants

The Google news cache coughs up this rather routine contestant story about Paul Wampler. He's a software designer who racked up $74,002 (don't forget the two bucks!) on Jeopardy. Well, after the tax man turned up, it was about $45,000. Still a nice haul.

Paul sounds like a sensible sort who won't squander the loot. His toughest question on the show concerned Peyton Manning. I'm not much of a football fan myself, so I might have been stumped, too. Paul read Ken Jennings' book Braniac and actually corresponded with the 74-episode champ.

The news cache also offers a cautionary tale about the know-it-all gadget which defeated Jennings. Yep, Watson is back in the news - did it ever leave? - as a possible...I'm not kidding...telemarketer. Yikes, what a comedown! Last I heard Watson was going to revolutionize medicine. Now it's just going to peddle cosmetics, or whatever else telemarketers telemarket.

No comments:

Post a Comment