Saturday, September 24, 2011

Skinsaw man

I've been incapacitated with a goddamn cold over since Monday so I've been completely unable to paint any miniatures, which sucks since I have an exam this coming week which will eat up a lot of my time as well. Hopefully I'll be able to do some more work on my new game table and terrain in between.

I did got some painting done last weekend though, this "Skinsaw man" from Reaper is some sort of demon dressed up as for an 18th century masquerade. Really liked the sculpt so I had to have him. Unfortunately, with Reaper, you are not really sure what the size of the model will be IRL before you receive it. And this one was slightly larger than I would have liked. Being a demon it can still "pass". It was much worse with the zombie pack I also ordered, those zombies were like 35mm and pretty much useless to me.....

It was a bit hard to figure out how to paint this model, and in what colors. I googled around and  checked in on other people's paintjobs but in the end wanted mine to look unique. This was one of those rare cases where I started to paint the model without having a clear idea of what I wanted to achieve with the paintjob. I repainted the inside of the coat from neon green to light brown as it gave a better contrast to the skin on his face. The only thing I knew for certain was that I wanted him to have a white coat. So once I got to the pants I finally came up with the complete look and started doodling freehand patterns on the pants, inside of the jacket and the flower pattern.

I did not matt varnish this model as the matt varnish I used had been working poorly recently. The base was made simple so put focus on the miniature itself without any major distractions.


No comments:

Post a Comment