Friday, November 18, 2011

Ten favorites, ever

I've perpetrated a few all-time top ten lists of game shows. Except I can't remember where I put them. Anyway, the lists come in two varieties: my personal favorites, and the game shows I think have been most significant. The two are far from identical. The Price is Right would have to go on the second list, of course, but wouldn't come close to the first. Today I'm going to play favorites with myself and list the shows I like the most...

1) Match Game 1973-82. Perfect panel, perfect host, perfect writers. Can't beat it.

2) Pyramid. Just about any version, except maybe John Davidson's. And he couldn't really hurt the bulletproof format much.

3) Jeopardy. Great pace and never fails to get me talking to the TV.

4) Lingo. Maybe a surprise, but I can't stop shouting the obviously right answers (except when they turn out to be obviously wrong).

5) Wheel of Fortune. I'm a sucker for word games and nobody can run the show better than Pat.

6) I've Got a Secret 1952-67. Gets me to watch more black-and-white clips on YouTube than any sane human should consume.

7) Russian Roulette. Drop 'em Danno, er, Mark-o! By the way, Mark Walberg is my pick for most underrated host ever.

8) Family Feud. Any version except Louie's. He just didn't want to be there, unlike me.

9) Win Ben Stein's Money. Lots of people thought Ben and Jimmy were jerks. Well, they could tend that way but the show was still a hoot.

10) The Newlywed Game. Any version with happy homewrecker Bob Eubanks. Love the snark.

Five honorable mentions: Cash Cab, Who Wants to be a Millionaire, What's My Line, Deal or No Deal, Password Plus/Super Password.

No comments:

Post a Comment