Friday, October 14, 2011

Don't need no stinkin' originals

Now that I've number-palooza-ed the network (see below) I've gotten into a spat on the GSN board about the advisability of more originals. But first I noticed something...
By the way, has original development come to a screeching halt at GSN? I haven't seen even the slightest hint of a new original on the network. Some of this may just be a natural break in development after [programming exec] Kelly Goode left. But I wonder if the green-eyeshade types at Sony have told [GSN president] David Goldhill that they really don't want any more expensive disasters like Late Night Liars or Improv-a-Ganza.
Still haven't heard a peep about new originals. As I look over the long list of GSN efforts, I can see why the network may be going a little slow on development.

Simply put, the failures far outnumber the successes. For every long-lived Lingo, there seems to be a bunch of forgotten Throut and Necks. This is hardly a problem for just GSN. Every TV network finds that success is rare in original development, and failure depressingly common.

My advice (much disputed) on the GSN board was to shelve development for a while. Instead, invest the network's money in acquiring recent game shows with good track records. But my guess is that, sooner or later, new originals will again crop up on our little game show network. TV execs want to start new shows, not just buy somebody else's used stuff. Makes 'em feel creative.

No comments:

Post a Comment