Monday, February 20, 2012

Developing in hell

Mentioned the Pyramid revival stuck in development hell. So whaddaya know, I see a play-by-play account of that hell from longtime announcer Randy West on Matt Ottinger's board.

Randy sounds a little jaded by it all. But he manages some humor. "Yes, too often it's like hell except not as hot. Other times, only occasionally, it rocks!!" Except when the rights revert to you because your buyer gets fired or loses interest.

But there's the payoff at the end: "If it's a network or cable channel, the show goes to air. Or it gets shopped by the syndicator to TV stations in January for a fall debut. If enough stations in the top markets buy it, you're on. Congratulations, and don't forget me when hiring your announcer and warm-up!"

Well, I wouldn't ever forget Randy, who wrote a terrific remembrance of announcing legend Johnny Olsen. I doubt that I'll need his half-humorous guide through development hell, though. My ambition to create a game show died long ago. Or, more accurately, it never lived at all.

Still, I can dream a little. It would be nice to see "Created by Casey Abell" at the end of Wheel of Fortune. I'd be driving a better car.

No comments:

Post a Comment