Sunday, August 21, 2011

Set piece

One of the odd things about the game show internets is the enormous attention paid to sets. You know, the places where they play game shows. On Matt Ottinger's board I just noticed a thread called "Set changes." It's all about short-lived set changes on game shows from the past. (Naturally from the past. It's Matt's board, after all.) A typical exchange:
When Match Game switched to the newer logo in 1978, weren't the celebrity podiums one color for a brief period, and then switched to another?



Yes. The backdrop behind the lower tier was dark blue. However the backdrop behind the players was light blue and was solid instead of ridged. The player's score indicators were white instead of green and red. The following week the lower tier was painted light blue to match the player area, and the triangle and circle were painted green and red respectably.
I'm all for game show trivia, but this is truly way-beyond-trivial trivia. Yes, I'm biased because I usually don't care much about game show sets. They play Cash Cab inside a dinky little taxi and I don't mind.



But what they hey, if folks want to talk about how the triangle and circle were painted on Match Game, who am I to quibble? I can think of a lot worse things to discuss. Only I can't resist a snide reference to Dizzy Dean's base runners returning to their respectable bases. (Check the last sentence of the quote about the Match Game set.)

No comments:

Post a Comment